Terry L. Matthews was appointed Mayor by the Board of Trustee's on October 3, 2016, after the resignation of former Mayor David Owen.
Terry is a lifelong resident of South Chicago Heights. Prior to him being appointed Mayor, he was a Village Trustee for 23 years. He served from 1989 to 1997 and elected again to another four terms in 2001-2013.
During his first two terms as Trustee he was the Village Board liaison to the Building Department. His last 15 years he served as the liaison to the Public Works Department; Terry was chairman of the Village Zoning Board from 1987 to 1989.
Civic Service & Involvement
- Served on the Chicago Heights School District 170 Board of Education in 1997-1999
- Served for 16 years as Bloom Township Democratic Committeema
- Former chairman of the Elected Officials Subcommittee for the Illinois 80th Legislative District
- Former member of the 80th District Advisory Board of the Aging
- Special Assistant to the Cook County Highway Department
- Has been a Village baseball program manager, coach and umpire
He is married to his wife Carla and has a son, Vinnie, and a daughter, Jamie. Terry and Carla have five grandchildren: