Building & Demolition Permits
Due to Governor Pritzker’s COVID-19 Executive Order #8, Village Hall is closed to the public and are operating remotely at a reduced staffing levels. As a result, the Building Department has made adjustments to their services as follows:
- Suspension of the any property inspections if property is occupied.
Permit application along with supporting documents can be submitted electronically to Ashley Simpson at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 708-755-1881. If you have questions, call 708-755-1880 and press option#3 for the Building Department.
Building permits are issued to make sure that the contractor doing the work is insured and bonded and that the work is done according to code and in a professional manner. Please call the building department to ask if you need a permit. Costs for permits are based on the estimated cost of the job. Fines for doing work without a permit can be up to $750.
Examples for installation/construction items that require permits:
- Air conditioners
- Room additions
- Sidewalks (on private property)
- Swimming pools (Permanent Installation)
Demolition Permit Requirements
A permit is required for demolition of any structure in the Village of South Chicago Heights. Required documentation includes:
- Copy of asbestos abatement documentation from the county
- Proof from utility companies that all utilities have been disconnected
- A Cook County Permit must also be obtained; visit the Cook County website for more information.
- $525 plus $12 per 1,000 square feet
- $100 Construction water fee (when applicable)
- Residential Accessory Structures (shed or garage) less than 900 square feet $50.00