The Village of South Chicago Heights announces that we will be accepting applications for Lateral Transfer Police Officers. Candidates should, under general supervision, be able to perform general police patrol duties, including but not limited to.
- basic accident investigations
- traffic control and enforcement
- initial investigations into criminal and non-criminal activity
- related functions involving the safety and protection of life and property
- promote crime prevention strategies
- apprehend criminals
- enforce Federal, State and Local Statutes/Ordinances
Lateral Entry Qualifications
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess a high School diploma and be currently certified as a full-time or part-time law enforcement officer.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must possess a valid Firearms Owners Identification Card (FOID).
- Be a United States or a Naturalized Citizen.
- Be able to operate designated village vehicles.
- Have fewer than two chargeable traffic accidents within the past 36 months.
- Have no convictions for DUI and no loss of license because of a moving violation within the past 36 months at the time of application.
- Have no felony convictions.
- Have no convictions for serious misdemeanors involving moral turpitude as defined in 65 ILCS / 10- 2.1-6
Applicants who meet the above qualifications must:
- Complete and submit an application.
- Participate in an interview/assessment process conducted by a joint committee.
- Furnish job experience documentation.
- Provide a law enforcement certification that has been issued or accepted by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
- The initial examination of candidates will include:
- Oral Interview(s)
- Background Investigation
- Candidates receiving a conditional offer of employment will be required to pass the following:
- Psychological Exam
- Polygraph Exam
- Medical Exam, including Drug Screening
Acceptable candidates shall be placed on a new or current lateral entry eligibility list in alphabetical order, from which the Village's Police and Fire Commission may select at their discretion to fill vacancies depending on qualifications and experience. Acceptable candidates will remain on lateral entry eligibility list for a period of not less than two years.
Wages and Seniority
Effective 01/01/2021, Probationary Patrol Officers will be paid $45,260.80*. Effective on their one-year anniversary hiring date, Probationary Officers will receive a raise increasing their salary to $49,254.40.
*The current CBA expires 12/31/2021 Starting salary is subject to change.
Starting Monday, February 22, 2021 at 09:00 AM, applications may be obtained on the Village of South Chicago Heights Website https://www.southchicagoheights.com
Completed applications must be submitted with a photocopy of applicant’s current state issued driver's license, Firearms Owners Identification Card, Social Security Card, certificate of high school diploma or GED, and any current police/security certifications that the applicant has attained. Applications to be considered must be returned with all supporting documentation to the South Chicago Heights Police Department Front Desk, 185 W. Sauk Trail, South Chicago Heights, Illinois 60411 no later than 4:00 PM, Friday March 19, 2021. Applications will NOT be accepted after this time and date.
Please make sure that all applications contain accurate contact information, (phone numbers and/or e-mail addresses) in which to contact the candidates.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: All Village of South Chicago Heights applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, sexual orientation, military status, or unfavorable discharge from military service.
POLICE APPLICATION fillable PDF